Disclaimer: This is the English avatar (not exactly a translation, though close) of a Spanish-language blog. I am not a native English speaker, so I would ask readers to bear kindly with this attempt (possibly too bold) and the mistakes it will entail and to accept the apologies for them I offer in advance here.




sábado, 12 de abril de 2008

Firsts IV: Paatit


Among the nice new experiences that Easter in Ortigueira (see previous entry) delivered, I must confess I was particularly touched by the fact that my Greenland paddle, made with my very own hands (pretty much the first thing I've ever built) actually performed very well at propelling my kayak. As already confessed, I rapidly felt very much at ease using it and by the end of the trip I was simply loving it.

Since then, it has seen water (fresh, this time) once again. Another windy day, even more so than the first one and, hence, another chance to appreciate what it can do for you in such conditions. And to become totally addicted to the absolutely silent stroke you can achieve with it and the much valued chances to come close to wildlife that it provides. Oh, for some 5 km of that outing and thanks to the kindness of Xabier, its builder, I could match my paatit with a Greenland-style SOF kayak on the return leg of its maiden voyage (another "first" to ramble upon in the near future). Lovely

The stick (obeche wood = ayous = samba and a few other names) has ended up 234 cm long and 7.8 cm wide for a weight of 850 gr. I'm absurdly fond of it.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Hola Hopeless, te escribo porque he leído en un foro que te gustaban las Hamacas hennessy pero que en España no las encontrabas. Te comento que recientemente hemos comenzado con la importación de dichas hamacas por lo que, si te interesa puedes ponerte en contacto conmigo. Importamos el modelo normal y el "deluxe" y ahora los tenemos en stock en Madrid.
Puedes contactar conmigo en:

cohideinef@gmail.com