Disclaimer: This is the English avatar (not exactly a translation, though close) of a Spanish-language blog. I am not a native English speaker, so I would ask readers to bear kindly with this attempt (possibly too bold) and the mistakes it will entail and to accept the apologies for them I offer in advance here.




lunes, 21 de abril de 2008

Link (IV). There's not a moment to lose

In one of the Aubrey & Maturin series novels by Patrick O'Brian (of which I am a devoted fan), the tender Ringle, a schooner (possibly a topsail schooner, as she was of the kind known as Baltimore clippers) of Jack Aubrey's property appears at a certain moment crossing a bay closed to the north by the Cape of Bares. Commanded as usual by Midshipman William Reade and carrying Dr. Maturin, his daugthter and his fortune, Ringle, finds herself closely pursued by a strong French privateer, the three-masted lugger Marie Paule. To avoid boarding and capture, Ringle, masterly skippered by Reade and Aubrey's coxswain, the magnificent Barrett Bonden, has to literally sail a biscuit's toss from the dangerous cliffs and rocks of the Cape.

And I have just realized that said bay is what I know as the mouth of the O Barqueiro Inlet and that I was paddling just there this past Easter.

No hay comentarios: