Disclaimer: This is the English avatar (not exactly a translation, though close) of a Spanish-language blog. I am not a native English speaker, so I would ask readers to bear kindly with this attempt (possibly too bold) and the mistakes it will entail and to accept the apologies for them I offer in advance here.




jueves, 15 de enero de 2009

Antropomorph? (Building II)


I said I was going to build a traditional Skin-On-Frame qajaq. It was a while ago, yes, but I've actually started moving. I've made lists of materials needed, I've ordered the wood that should become the stem and stern pieces in a nearby shop, potential bending stock has been found through a friend's generosity and I've gone ahead and done the balancing act and accompanying measuring to find the location of my center of gravity in a paddling position and to record some antropomorphic measurements. This is to adjust the placement of some structural elements so I can actually enter and fit into the qajaq. This is what I obtained:

Isserfik at 300 cm from the bow

  1. Isserfik to Sit Bone 19,6 cm
  2. Isserfik to Center of Gravity 31,0 cm
  3. Isserfik to Masik 58’5 cm
  4. Isserfik to Knee Brace 75’6 cm
  5. Isserfik to Heel 107,4 cm
  6. Isserfik to Foot brace 117,1 cm

And even this seemingly innocent, simple task provided some anguish. Somehow I came to think the figures didn't seem right and I started doubting my measuring procedures. Fortunately, a quick consultation with Xabier and some fooling around with the image of the stick where Alapala recorded his measurements (good he published it....) and the dimensioning tools of some software dispelled much of that worry. My data gained some plausibility and I some peace of mind.

I'm afraid this building thingie is going to be quite emotional

No hay comentarios: